areas of grace

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Music

I LOVE music. Can't sing. Can't play an instrument. But, LOVE voices, instruments, the combination of both together to produce something beautiful. It amazes and awes me to hear someone play an instrument or sing without effort. I have family members. Young family members. Who can pick up an instrument and play it with no formal training. Amazing.
There are members of my husband's family who I could listen to sing all day and night. If I could convince them to indulge me for that long, of course. I LOVE MUSIC.
I have always considered the ability to play/sing a God-given talent, so could never understand why people who do not use their talents for furthering His kingdom are allowed to retain possession of such talent. It didn't seem fair, especially since I would love to be able to sing but can't carry a tune if you give it to me in a bucket. Then, I began to realize that satan was the original music manager. He was the one who controlled music, so it makes sense that he knows he can use it for his agenda. This in NO WAY discounts all of the talented singers, songwriters, and musicians who DO use their talents for the Lord! God gives the talent and satan slimes his way in to use it for himself if allowed.
I have told my Better Half that he should really sing in public - that he was being selfish to waste his talent by NOT believing he could sing. Well, wifey is prejudiced, of course. "I can't sing. I wouldn't embarrass myself by trying it in public." Famous last words! He recently went to work in Africa, where there is NOTHING to do after work and on off weekends while stuck in a man camp. Except sing/play music, that is. Some of the fellows he works with heard him singing along with whomever was singing karaoke at the time. And convinced him to try his hand at it. Well... he is now in demand for singing when the band practices or on karaoke nights. I think it's hilarious!! (AND, I get to say "I told you so!" which is ALWAYS fun.) I keep hoping someone will record a session with him singing and put it on Youtube or at least on Facebook.
One of his buddies is the brother of a famous rock musician and he repeatedly tells my Better Half, "I know music. I've been around singers all of my life and YOU can sing!" Hopefully, my honey will NOT stop singing once he leaves Africa. I love that he can sing and REALLY want him to pass it on to our daughters (who LOVE music as much as my honey and I do, but currently only sing at home just messing around). BH played the saxophone in high school and a little beyond, but hasn't touched one in years and years. Such a waste! I would LOVE to hear him play. (Never have because he stopped playing long before we met.)
Maybe I ought to get us a karaoke machine? Or a microphone, at least. We have an amp already. Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment